(NIPIGON, ON) – On March 4, 2017 at approximately 7:12 p.m. Officers of the Nipigon Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) responded to a report of an eastbound vehicle being driven at a high rate of speed without its lights on.
Officers subsequently located and stopped the vehicle on highway 11-17 in Shuniah Township. Investigation revealed that the driver had a suspended licence and the vehicle was not insured.
As a result of the driver operating with a suspended licence the vehicle was towed and impounded for seven days.
On March 5, 2017 at 7:57 a.m. Officers of the Nipigon Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) received a report that the tow truck carrying the impounded vehicle had been stolen from a local tow yard. The complainant of the theft followed the tow truck and provided updates to police.
Police located the tow truck traveling eastbound at Gravel River. The driver refused to stop for police.
A spike belt was used to stop the tow truck.
The driver was arrested and found to be the owner of the impounded car on the tow truck.
As a result the male driver Vaishnav VASUDEVAN DEV, 21 years old of Thunder Bay Ontario is charged with the following offences:
- Operating a vehicle without insurance, contrary to section 2(1)(a) of the Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act.
- 2 counts of Driving While Under Suspension, contrary to section 53(1) of the Highway Traffic act.
- Theft of Motor Vehicle, contrary to section 333.1 of the Criminal Code.
- Mischief Over $5000, contrary to section 430(3) of the Criminal Code.
- Dangerous Operation of a Motor Vehicle, contrary to section 249(1)(a) of the Criminal Code.
- Flight While Pursued by a Peace Officer, contrary to section 249.1(1) of the Criminal Code.
VASUDEVAN DEV has been remanded into custody awaiting a bail hearing.