(NORTH WEST REGION HEADQUARTERS) On September 5, 2001 the body of an adult male was located at a rest area of a remote cross-country ski trail near Deep River, ON. The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP), Criminal Investigation Branch (CIB) need your help to identify him.
The man was wearing a blue coloured Eagle Creek Travel Brand nylon knapsack that contained hiking items such as a candle, lantern, mini-mag flashlight, water container and matches. Police also located a “Levi” pocket watch with a blue face and a built in compass on the band located in the knapsack. Other items in the bag include:
- Luggage tag sticker from a Costa Rican domestic airline
- Plastic laundry bag from Sutton Place Hotel in Toronto
- Matches from the Sheraton Hotel, W Hotels (American chain) and Barclay Hotel in Vancouver
- 2 protein bars from a GNC store
The deceased is described as:
- Slim build
- 130 Lbs
- Good dental hygiene
- No tattoos or scars
- Was in good physical health prior to his death
- Pepe brand blue jeans: button-fly, size 30
- Black Leather Clavin Klein belt
- Fundamentals black t-shirt, size medium
- Replay Blue Jeans brand, black coloured running shoes, size small (fairly worn)
- Black cotton underwear
- Silver ring with aqua coloured stone on right hand, pinky finger
The male wore eye glasses that are for near-sighted individuals. Information obtained through the investigation leads investigators to believe that the deceased traveled throughout Canada, specifically western Canada, the United States and possibly Costa Rica.
Post mortem results indicate that his cause of death is not suspicious, foul play is not suspected. The Upper Ottawa Valley OPP Crime Unit, under the direction of Detective Inspector Rob Hagerman, CIB, is continuing the investigation. If anyone has information about the identity of this man, please contact the Upper Ottawa Valley OPP at 613-735-0188 or 1-888-310-1122.
Please see the attached photos.
Contact: Sgt. Kristine Rae