Rainy River District OPP (Atikokan) has recently learned of complaints from the public of telephone calls from persons identifying themselves as investigators with Revenue Canada. The perpetrator advised that there is an investigation and possible charges are pending. It is important to know that when receiving these phone calls you do not share personal information. The following information is from the Government of Canada Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre:
- Do not take immediate action.
- Verify that what you are being told is the truth.
- Ask yourself why the CRA would be asking for personal information over the phone or e-mail that they likely already have on file for you as a taxpayer.
- Contact the CRA to confirm that you in fact owe back taxes, or are entitled to a refund, before providing any personal or banking information. Do not use the phone number that is being provided by the person who made contact.
- For more information about Fraud Scams involving the CRA visit the Canada Revenue Web page at www.cra-arc.gc.ca/scrty/frdprvntn/menu-eng.html
To report a fraud or a scam or get more information regarding current scams, visit the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre (formerly PhoneBusters) on the internet at
http://www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca/fraud-escroquerie/types/tax-contribuable/index-eng.htm or by calling 1-888-495-8501.